Greetings, Adventurers! This patch brings a new Season, an event full of tricks and shenanigans, and another round of bug fixes—among a bunch of other updates.
Season of Revival
Join a new Season Guide to rebuild an area steeped in Sky’s history, and transform it into a thriving town center once again for Spirits and Sky children alike.
Fulfill Seasonal Quests to rebuild the area from the basics on up. Along the way you’ll meet familiar Guides from past Seasons. New Seasonal cosmetics will be offered through a shop in the Seasonal area, with items including items like capes, shoes, and a music sheet. Two Ultimate Gifts will be available from the Revival Guide: a colorful hairstyle, and a cape that creates a rainbow light effect when flying through the air.
The Season of Revival introduces a new area that will continue to grow. Over time it will become a permanent town center where players can regularly experience events, festivals, new ways to gather with friends, and more—so this will be only the first of many updates related to the area. Check out our recent blog post for additional information!
Season of Revival begins at 00:00 October 16th PDT (UTC -7) and continues until 23:59 December 31st PST (UTC -8) and is available to all players who have progressed to at least Hidden Forest. Players with a Season Pass receive 30 bonus Seasonal Candles and will also have the opportunity to unlock all items from the Seasonal Spirits and the Ultimate Gifts available through the Season of Revival Guide. (Returning Season Guides will not offer past Ultimate Gifts.)
Updates for Returning IAP and IGC Event Items
[Edit Oct. 27] With this patch, we originally shared that we’d change how older IAP and IGC (in-game currency) event items were brought back: that starting with Days of Mischief this year, each event would offer IAP and IGC from the current year and the previous year, and items older than the previous year would be made available on a separate schedule outside their related event.
This was based on feedback that we’d been hearing for quite a while that having so many items appear as events returned year after year felt overwhelming, and that players felt pressured to buy everything.
Based on that feedback, and with our longer-term plans for Aviary Village, we felt that changing how older items were returned would be an opportunity to both reduce pressure on players during events, and give our more entrepreneurial Spirits a chance to regularly offer items from prior events.
While we still may do this in the future, it’s clear from player feedback that how the change was communicated and rolled out did not feel good, and that it left many unable to fully enjoy Days of Mischief. So, we’ll be returning the IAP and IGC item lineup to its original format to offer all newer and older items.
For Days of Mischief 2023, this means that:
- All prior IGC items will be available for all platforms
- All prior IAP items will be available for iOS and Android platforms (unfortunately these are the only platforms that items can be returned to within the timeframe of the event)
For Days of Feast and all events after Days of Mischief, all items from current and prior years will be offered together during their event.
Thank you for your patience, feedback, and support, and we apologize for any stress this has caused.
Days of Mischief
The Cackling Crab returns with a new set of surprises! From 00:00 October 23rd until 23:59 Sunday November 12th PST (UTC -8), the Secret Area accessible from the Vault of Knowledge offers daring players a slew of spooky discoveries—mazes, a cast of Spirits to meet, and some crabby characters who want Sky kids to see the world from their point of view.
The area gradually transforms over the event’s three weeks, and memorable favorites from previous years will be back too (Dark Creature rides, anyone?). In the final week of the event, you can become part of a small gathering of players in one of the event’s rooms with Festival Tech that transforms Sky kids into Dark Crabs.
Watch for event currency shaped like small candies. A total of 6 can be found each day:
- 4 placed around the event area
- 1 if you’re cursed by a cranky feline or a crabby NPC Spirit
- 1 if you’re caught in the gaze of a particular ominously large crab in the event area
Use the event’s currency to unlock new in-game currency (IGC) cosmetics. These are offered by one of the Mischief Staff Spirits.
- Mischief Goth Garment: 41 event currency
- Mischief Crabkin Accessory: 24 event currency
- Mischief Goth Boots: 16 event currency
New IAP items are in the in-game shop:
- Mischief Crabula Mask: $2.99 (all prices USD)
- Mischief Gossamer Cape: $14.99
- Mischief Crabula Cloak: $14.99
For IAP and IGC items from previous years, talk to other Mischief Spirits to see what they have on hand.
- Mischief Tufted Hair: 44 Candles
- Witch Hair: 66 Candles
- Withered Cape: 99 Candles
- Spooky Dining Set: 33 Hearts
- Pumpkin Prop: $1.99
- Spider Quiff: $4.99
- Mischief Witch Hat: $9.99
- Witch Jumper: $9.99 (includes both the original outfit and original shoes, which can now be worn separately)
- Withered Antlers: $9.99
- Feline Familiar Prop: $9.99
- Hungry Pumpkin Hat: $11.99 (includes 8 regular Candles)
- Mischief Web Cape: $14.99
- Spooky Bat Cape: $17.99 (includes 12 regular Candles)
- Cat Costume Pack: $19.99 (includes cat-themed cape and mask)
Don’t forget, the Sleepy Traveling Merchant’s Boat in Home and the pumpkin hat spell shop in the Cackling Crab offer free trial spells for all returning IAP and IGC items—plus a variety of tricky spells, too, in exchange for Candles, Ascended Candles, or event currency.
[Edit: IAP and IGC items updated Oct. 27th]
Days of Giving
From 00:00 November 20th until 23:59 November 26th PST (UTC -8), Days of Giving returns.
During this time there will be:
- Double Seasonal Light: 8 clusters of Seasonal Light can be collected in the daily realm for a total of two Seasonal Candles each day.
- Double Treasure Candles: There will be 8 locations of large Treasure Candles in the same realm each day, instead of four.
- Double Hearts: Every Heart and partial Heart gift sent during the event to a friend will be doubled.
Note: Hearts and partial Heart gifts are doubled when they’re sent during the event. If a gift is sent before Days of Giving begins but is then collected during the event, it will not be doubled.
Updates to Player Creations
We’re working on a number of changes to how player creations (things like Message Boats, Shared Spaces, and Shared Memories) can be used and interacted with. Updates will be spread out across future patches, but for this patch we’ve added these changes:
- When viewing a set of creations in the level areas, players will need to move a bit farther before the next set appears
- Adjusted display of player creations depending on how frequently players interact with them.
Developer Note: Based on player feedback we came to understand that there are two major responses to the presence of player creations in the world. This update hopefully brings support to both groups.
The one camp loves to use Shared Memories, Message Boats, and Shared Spaces as a way to chat, hang out, and share with their friends. They give their friends likes, they look at a lot of creations, and they make a ton of their own stuff. If you’re one of these players, the game will make sure you can see as much as you like.
The other camp isn't very engaged with it, and some players even find it distracting. For players that ignore these objects in the world, the game will show a substantial amount less. We hope you find the world more relaxing and less cluttered.
Daylight Saving Time
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2:00 am Pacific Time on Sunday November 5th, moving clocks back an hour. Time notation for events in Sky will change from UTC -7 to UTC -8. If you are in a region that does not observe this time change, after November 5th the daily reset will occur an hour later for you.
Improvements and Bug Fixes in this update include:
- [PlayStation] [Switch] Button prompt displays when a new Candle is ready for forge.
- [Switch] Shard eruption locations are consistent with locations on other platforms.
- Fixed crashes that occurred in specific cases of multiple players using the carry interaction in certain levels.
- Added a button to the spells tab in the emote menu that allows players to cancel an active spell.
- Brightened up the darkened white fur trim on capes like the Season of Rhythm cape.
- Fixes for Shared Memories that play inside a Shared Space.
- Player creations won’t show in the levels for a new player until they’ve reached at least Hidden Forest.
- Avatar animation won’t break after taking an in-game screenshot during a cutscene.
- When placing message spells (including boats, cranes, and lanterns) with a controller, pressing the back button once now cancels placement, and pressing it again cancels the spell.
- Fixed bug preventing player from exiting camera prop view mode while recording or viewing a Shared Memory.
- Fixed gaps with hairstyles from the Grateful Shell Collector, Scolding Student, and Scaredy Cadet
- Fixed scaling issue that could make some hats and hair accessories clip into hairstyles especially for taller avatars.
- The rock noticed some new fashion trends among the locals. The sunglasses their friend from Sanctuary Island gave them were a favorite, but maybe it was time to try something different?
Please refer to this page for known issues ongoing or introduced with this patch: Known Issues Patch 0.23.0.
As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback, and encourage you to join the community discussion on our official Discord server at discord.gg/thatskygame!